So, I made this blog a long time ago, thinking I would use it as a sort of journal. Then, because I've never really been into keeping a journal or diary, I promptly forgot about it. But now that I'm in the hospital for my transplant, I figured this would be a good way to keep everyone updated on my progress. Feel free to read or not read, post or not post - whatever you like.
Anyway, like I said, I'm in the hospital. And I'm in it to win it! I'll be here for about a month, and hopefully, after this procedure, I'll never have to deal with stupid cancer again. Today is Day -8. We're counting up from -8 to zero; Day zero will be the day my immune system is completely demolished and I'll get the cells from my donor. I don't know who my donor is or where he is from, but I know that it's a man and he's 49 years old. It's funny to think that after I get his cells, my blood will be composed of his cells, and so if you were to do a blood test on me, it would look like I'm a man! Don't worry, I won't be growing hair on my chest!
Right now I'm sitting on my hospital bed getting my first infusion of a drug called Campath. It's not a chemotherapy; it's actually an antibody. In order to prevent a reaction (like an allergic reaction) against a foreign antibody entering the system, they pre-medicate me with benadryl and tylenol. So far, so good.
The bed here is pretty comfortable. I guess it does make a difference being in a bed that's made for adults and not just kids. My room is big and my window looks out on a pretty courtyard. I have a TV, DVD player, and phone all to myself. Obviously I also have WiFi. There's a room here that has a pool table, big screen tv, and foosball table in it, too. So if you're in the area and want to come visit, we can pretend we're in a pool hall instead of a hospital. :-)
My mom is going to be here pretty much every day, but in the evenings I have friends coming to visit (hi guys!). I have the best friends in the world. Seriously.
Anyway, that's all that's happening now...nothing too exciting. Feel free to send pictures, so I can hang them in my room and think of all of you!
I miss all of you who live far away, and am looking forward to seeing those of you who live nearby!
Much love to all.
Monday, January 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey - great idea! Good luck with everything - our thoughts are with you!
ReplyDeleteGreat idea heather! I cant wait till you kick this thing in the bud! Looking forward to visits and a very long chat session..love and miss you much! xoxo melissa
ReplyDeleteHey Heather! My family and I are lovin the blog, we're gonna check it every day! (Ha or at least I am). We love and miss you and I would give anything to see you right now. Hopefully that becomes a reality in the near future, but for now, this is an excellent way to stay in touch (other than facebook).
ReplyDeleteLove Love Love!
-Jessica (Your favorite cousin) ;)
Hi Heather!! We love your blog. Thank you so much for sharing with us. You are amazing! We miss you. We think of you daily and send you positive thoughts.
ReplyDeleteHave you come across any fun crafts lately?
Alyssa just got her 1st pair of walker shoes yesterday. At 15 months she is thinking about walking. She has everyone wrapped around her little finger. Someone is constantly holding her or loving on her. She is so funny. I will have to send you some pictures soon.
Love ya tons,
Betsy, Mark, Michaela, Karina and Alyssa
Bella Boo :) Great first entry for the new year! I can picture you in your room looking out at the courtyard. When you mentioned the man's cells I immediately thought of Drag Ball... sigh. Stay strong, manly manly strong and know that i love you, miss you, and am thinking about you and will be reading your blog for updates. can you skype? I love you!!!!!!!! I really friggin love you and would love to see your face :)
ReplyDeletelove, Leroy Brown
(MHC drag King)
I am so glad you are doing this whole blog thing. It will be much easier for me to see how you are doing! You are one of the strongest/bravest people I know and have no doubt that you will kick this thing in the ass for real this time.
ReplyDeleteI hope you get the lifetime movie channel on that tv...it is the best way to pass the time :) Miss you and love you!
Leigh
Heather I am so glad you are doing this, i was wondering about how you are doing. I am praying that you are done with this business for good after your transplant!! I am sad that you aren't at our hospital, but it sounds like they are treating you well where you are. Stay strong girl!!! Hugs, Bernadette
ReplyDelete